0330 175 7516 
A choking six-year-old has thanked her big sister for saving her life just two days after taking a first-aid course. 
Emma, 17, spotted sister Magi Elen struggling to breathe at the cafe run by her family, and leapt into action. 
The college student from Gwynedd, who has learning disabilities and epilepsy, used techniques taught just 48 hours before to dislodge stuck food. 
The first words from Magi's mouth as she began to breathe were: "I love you". 
"I was cleaning the dishes in the kitchen and Magi came in and she was choking on a sausage," explained Emma, who is studying a life-skills foundation course at Coleg Llandrillo Glynllifon, near Caernarfon. 
"She couldn't breathe, her face was red and she was struggling to talk." 
Emma was able to start give back blows to sister Magi Elen to dislodge a stuck piece of sausage 
At the family home near Aberdaron on the Llŷn Peninsula, Emma's mother Kim said she could not thank her daughter enough. 
"I'm just so proud of her, I couldn't be any more proud," she said. 
"Without Emma's quick thinking, what could have happened? It means a lot to all of us - all the family." 
"So proud" of her daughter, says Emma and Magi's mother Kim 
Kim said it highlighted just how valuable first aid lessons can be, and urged more people to get trained. 
"The example is here, if Emma hadn't done that course the story could have been totally different, with a different outcome. 
"I cannot thank her enough - I'm so proud of her for saving her sister's life." 
Emma with sister Magi Elen - safe and well after the choking experience 
Back at Emma's home, as the family sit down together at the kitchen table poring over old photo albums, the last word goes to Magi Elen. 
"Thank you," she says to her sister. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies, including for advertising personalisation. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings